Sunday, September 30, 2007

Smother Mother

My skills as a Smother Mother are about to be tested. My oldest daughter, Kelci, is leaving next week, with MY grandson to join her husband in Iowa, while he works for a couple of months. I haven't even got a leg to stand on. Her dad won a scholarship to study architecture in Europe for 7 months. We left when she was 8 months old and came back the night before Thanksgiving when she was 15 months old. It was in 1985 and terrorism was happening all over Europe. We were at places that blew up within 2 days of us being there, three different times. We arrived in Rome right after the Achilles Lauro had been hijacked the Italian government had collapsed. There were soldiers with machine guns at intersections and when my ex asked one for directions, I knew it was time to go home to Oklahoma....Yep, putting her grandparents through that kind of torture is really coming back to haunt me.

We did get both sets of grandparents to come over and visit us. There is nothing like strolling through the red light district in Amsterdam,with your in-laws. Below is Kelci and me in St.Mark's Square, Venice, Italy, 1985.

4 comments:

Junebug said...

What an interesting life, to have lived in another country for that long. A couple of years ago, my oldest daughter went to live in Croatia. She was a nanny for some missionaries two little boys. She lived there for 5 months and came home the week after Christmas. Talk about the best Christmas present ever. I missed her so much and had to pretend that she was only an hour away at college sometimes. But we made it through and she will never forget the experience and loves to travel. She learned many things especially how to take care of herself, all by herself.

Cammie said...

I really have no doubt that my daughter will do wonderfully. She has smarter than me since she was four.;> I do like the part about pretending that she is an hour away, and I only have to deal with Iowa.

Thank you so much for stopping by,
Hugs,
Cammie

Junebug said...

Yes, I was good at pretending. I found that phone calls were expensive and discovered that I could text message her for only 10 cents a message, so we did that a lot.

Cammie said...

When we were in Europe, we alternated calling each set of parents, once a week. My daughter learned to attach great importance to the phone, it was the highlight of our week. When we came home I had to RACE her to answer the phone because she wanted to babble into everytime someone called.