Friday, September 21, 2007

Heart attack and roving tumors

The other night I couldn't sleep and finally gave in and took a sleeping pill about three in the morning. My husband gets up at six to get ready for work and that morning he wasn't feeling well and his left hand and arm was numb. He woke me to ask what I thought he should do and in my head I told him I had just taken a sleeping pill, but apparently all that I did tell him was to call the doctor. I do vaguely remember him asking me to drive him to the hospital but since he works at the hospital, I assumed he just wanted a ride to work and told him to have our youngest daughter take him. In my head once again,I explained that I could not drive with Ambien in my system.....Ambien makes me do a lot of things, once we found a half eaten ice cream bar by the printer...but that is another story.

How my husband,Ed, tells the story is that he woke up not feeling well and his arm and hand were numb and he was worried about a heart attack. He woke me up to ask me what to do, because I am the reluctant expert of all things medical in this family. I just sleepily told him to call the doctor, so he called into work to tell them that he wouldn't be in. He called the doctor after they got to the office and they said they would ask the doctor and call him back. All the while I slept blissfully on. At some point he became more concerned and wanted me to take him to the hospital. He was dying and his spouse did not give a care in the world. He got fed up and drove himself to the hospital and worked, until the doctor's office called him back with an appointment.

I have always teased him about his tumor that migrates. Every time he has a pain, he worries that it is a tumor. He is diabetic and has arthritis and the other various aches and pains of being sixty, so pains occur often, in numerous places.

Turns out he has a pinched nerve in his neck and needs to take muscle relaxers to treat it. He now knows that I do give a care, I just can't articulate that caring attitude if I have recently taken an Ambien.

No comments: