Friday, September 14, 2007

Pictures of Love

Most all of the pictures you may see in my blog were taken by my oldest daughter. She got a digital camera for her birthday last September and has been clicking away ever since. Digital Photography is amazing, just a click and you can see what you have and a quick trip to the store or a computer and you can get prints within minutes. No smelly, expensive chemicals, paper, or trying to turn an apartment's only bathroom into a darkroom. Let me tell you, this was especially hard with a toddler and a husband who might want to use it too.

When I went to college, I majored in Medical Technology, I had a cousin with Cystic Fibrosis and I knew I wanted to do something to help. Caregiving and adopting strays was something that my mom taught by example. It seemed as natural as breathing, someone needed help, drop everything and pull out the stops to help. My other great determination was art, drawing, fiber arts, crafts, everything I saw I wanted to learn how to do. Yet another thing that I need a 12 step program for, the other being chocolate.:> Things changed after my second year of college, my dad passed away. He and his parents were my link to art. I found that when the emphasis in my life was science and caring for patients, I missed my art. So I changed my major to Photographic Journalism and carried my camera everywhere I went. I loved the instant gratification of photography as opposed to the drawing I had done up to that point.

Both of my daughters have good cameras and take great pictures, it is just another thread that binds us but it is one that I enjoy so very much.

No comments: